Dear AFDS Families,
Welcome to our new dancers and parents and welcome back to our returning families. This season celebrates our 11th anniversary and we are so blessed to have you all with us during the start of our 2nd decade of dance. We hope you have all had a relaxing summer and are getting geared up for all the activities this fall, especially dancing at AFDS!!
CLASSES BEGIN SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st I know this email is long, but I promise the info this email contains is super helpful to organizing your year with us. Please take the time to read this entire email and save it for reference.
We have missed you all so much and we are looking forward to seeing everyone and getting to know all our new students and their families.
We are forever grateful you have chosen AFDS. A few fun facts about A Fine Dance Studio’s 6000 square foot facility:
- Four state-of-the-art professionally sprung floors
- Ballet Barres in all studios
- Carpeted waiting areas, a water fountain and healthy vending machine.
- Six restrooms with motion sensor lighting.
- Six private changing rooms with motion LED lights.
- Homework/waiting area with large flat screen TVs to each studio so you can see what’s going on in the classrooms.
- High-definition cameras with wide angle lenses for improved parent viewing
Guest choreographers and families coming from other studios remark immediately upon entering. It really is the most beautiful studio around. We are beyond excited to get this year underway and can’t wait to see all the dancers back in action.
Sincerely, Miss Abigail Fine
HELPFUL HINTS FROM MISS ABIGAIL
1) Classes begin Saturday, September 21st! Please use the master calendar on the website for all your planning. Please don’t be overwhelmed but we are a very busy studio so there’s a lot on here. As things pass we will remove them and upload a new one.
2) USE OUR GOOGLE CALENDAR TO HELP YOU STAY ORGANIZED https://afdance.com/calendar-2/– you can even subscribe to this if you want and then whenever we add or change something it’ll go into your phone calendar.
3) DURING CLASS TIME REMINDERS
While the teachers and I love to help and get to know the parents, we kindly request that questions, concerns, comments should be brought directly to Robin during class hours. She will notify the appropriate staff member or schedule a conference if one is needed. The reason they cannot have conversations during their working and teaching hours is because they teach back to back and if they stop to speak to you, kids are left without a teacher in their next class. For this reason we ask that you do not approach a teacher during class hours.
4) RECITAL DATE UPDATE
We are still waiting on a final contract on dates and times for the Spring recital. As of right now, it appears our show will tentatively be JUNE 11-14TH. I understand fully how challenging June can be for families and appreciate your cooperation. Please remember we do our very best to avoid high school graduations and any known conflicts. We also try extremely hard to get siblings into the same shows but sometimes it just isn’t possible. If you have multiple children dancing at AFDS you should expect they could be in multiple shows.
COSTUME FORM – FIRST WEEK OF CLASS!
Please print and complete this costume measurement form (see notes below) Costume Measurement Form – DUE 1st Week Of Class
LEAVE ROOM FOR GROWTH PLEASE!
We realize this feels very early to be measuring the kids for June recital, but it’s critical we get costumes ordered by November 1st. Please take this into consideration when measuring your child. We recommend leaving a minimum of 2 inches for growth in all areas except the inseam…but you know your child best. Please print out the form, fill it out and turn it in to the front desk on the first day of class. If you need help, please come in at least 15-20 minutes early or plan on staying 15-20 minutes after class, and it would be our pleasure to assist you. We thank you in advance for your help and patience as you won’t be the only one who needs assistance.
PARKING – PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
Please arrive 10 minutes early in your dance clothes as changing at the studio can get very overwhelming especially for younger dancers.
Parents of older students or returning families we encourage you to drop off the first few weeks to help ease the stress of parking. The newer families will need to come in and we want to make sure everyone has time to figure out where they are going. Since classes are back to back and the parking lots are shared with other businesses we sometimes have congestion with parking up until 5pm. Please leave time and remain patient. We are all doing our best and understand that this can be challenging. Please remember to use caution and go very slowly as children are everywhere.
DRESS CODE AND SHOES
Please visit our website www.afdance.com/dress-code for up to date information about dress code and shoe requirements.
Please note that we totally understand that dancers may not have all their dance shoes by the start of classes. We want you to know that’s 100% okay. If you have older dance shoes that still fit please wear those. We also have a good size “borrow bin” of tap and ballet shoes so if you’d like to go through that please try not to mix up the matches. We spend a lot of time matching those so people have the option when they need it.
We also have tights for sale ($8.50 child & $10.50 adult) so please feel free to come grab a pair from Miss Robin.
- Always go to the bathroom before class
- Carry your dance shoes in a bag
- Bring a water bottle to class as leaving for the water fountain can slow class down
- Make sure shoes are labeled on the inside so your shoes doesn’t get taken by mistake.
- Street shoes are NOT allowed in the studios.
- No food or drink (with the exception of water) are allowed in the dressing rooms or studios. All food is to be consumed at the waiting room tables.
- AFDS is also a nut free facility.